About Paul | Email Updates | News & Media | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
Yesterday, the governor called lawmakers into a third special session to continue work on a 2017-19 budget. To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.
As a freshman lawmaker, I am given very little say in the first draft of the operating budget. That hasn't stopped me from making your voices heard. I've been tirelessly advocating for East King County's priorities to key budget negotiators of both parties.
As we enter the final seven days before our fiscal year deadline of June 30, here's the current status:
- A budget deal between key negotiators in both parties is very near.
- I will be in Olympia on Monday, and on the House floor starting Tuesday, to vote to keep vital legislation alive during the third special session.
- I will remain in Olympia throughout next week so I can thoroughly review a budget deal as soon as it becomes available to me.
- It will be my duty to offer amendments and ultimately vote for or against the budget deal put forth by negotiators.
- I will diligently review the budget deal to ensure that we fulfill our constitutional obligation to amply fund schools while still protecting taxpayers and the vulnerable.
- I will inspect each line item closely to find burdensome impacts on small businesses, jobs, and working families, and will offer amendments to eliminate them.
- I will do everything within my power to prevent a government shutdown.
Stay tuned for more updates from Olympia next week. I will send a comprehensive update out as soon as a final budget deal has been reached. Most importantly, please continue to call or email me with your questions, concerns, or comments.
122B Legislative Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7876 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000